Sunday, June 01, 2008

Department of Peace - McCain’s McClellan Nightmare - Readers' Comments - The New York Times

McCain’s McClellan Nightmare - Readers' Comments - The New York Times:
4) Now that we have lost 4000 americans, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, trillions of dollars, and all respect in the world, can we please discuss the creation of a Department of Peace, whose role it will be to not fight every point, but to seek out any and all diplomatic responses to issues, even if we don't follow them. It would seem, given the clear consequences of not having anyone to challenge our leaders, that setting up a department designed to seek alternative methods might be necessary.

I think it was from Kurt Vonnegut that I first heard the idea for a Department of Peace. I think it's a good idea.

I'd establish a cabinet-level Department of Peace, and then demote the Defense and State Departments to that reporting structure.

Second, I'd establish a doctrine under which, if there's no way out of fighting a war, it is fought decisively. No fucking around.

In my dreams...

By the way, the column that prompted the comment which, in turn, prompted this post, is an example of why Frank Rich is one of my favorite columnists.

No comments: